Listen: I’m Bored / Iggy Pop
Iggy’s been on more labels than Sparks, and has had more career comebacks than Cher. And just like those two examples, he’s one of the greats. What can I tell you about Iggy Pop except for: if you’ve never seen him live, it is not too late. He’s the real deal, and still can wipe the floor with 99% of the competition. The other 1% he equals.
This single had an important moment. When Ric Ocasek hosted The Midnight Special in the early 80′s, his guests were Suicide and Iggy Pop. Both were way too much for bad rock radio controlled America, but The Cars were huge and Ric had the clout to bring real art to late night viewers. It was one of the songs he performed, and has yet to make it on to you tube.
I never much cared about The Stooges. I’m sorry, forgive me. My initial experience with Iggy Pop was at LA’s Whisky A Go Go, in May ’73. I flew out, all on my own, to see The Pretty Things first ever US show. How crazy is that? I did have a friend to stay with at least. Iggy turned up in a blue mini skirt and white fur jacket – dressed identical to his girlfriend, both sporting bleached yellow hair. It was cool.